Here are copies of the documents relevant to ME 498 for Fall 2023. I'll try to have
all the handouts, homeworks, homework solutions, and exam solutions posted as soon
as they become available.
Let me know if there are any mistakes or omissions.
Note: The first two lectures (8/21 and 8/23) will be video lectures (see below). In addition, it's planned at this point for video lectures for the classes of Oct 4 and 6, Oct 25, as well as Nov 8 and 10. There will likely be a few others. Keep an eye on the class website.
Handouts and Notes
Lecture Videos and Notes
- Video for Lecture 1.
- Video for Lecture 2.
- Intro to QM.
- Notes on atomic and molecular structure.
- Notes on light.
- Supplemental notes on EM radiation math. More than you need to know, but a nice source if you're interested.
- Notes on the classical approach for light interaction with matter.
- Notes on wave equation and its various forms. From Prof. Mittleman at Brown.
- Notes Einstein coefficients and the radiative transport equation.
- Notes from Ron Hanson on lineshapes.
- Notes on Boltzmann distributions
- Notes from Hanson on absorption.
- Supplemental Notes on aabsorption.
- Notes on the curve of growth.
- Paper by Arnold and Whiting on emission
- Notes on emission.
- Notes on selection rules.
- Paper on selction rules.
- Detailed notes on multipole transitions.